Tyne and Wear HER(5764): Backworth Hall, walled garden - Details
Backworth Hall, walled garden
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
Formal garden for the new Backworth Hall, built in 1780 (HER 5167). Shown on the Tithe Award map of 1844 as gardens belonging to the Duke of Northumberland. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows the walled garden with a complex of paths with trees in-between and several small buildings along the southern and eastern boundary walls.
<< HER 5764 >> G. Brogan, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2004 Former Market Garden, Backworth, North Tyneside Archaeological Assessment 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1850 map