Tyne and Wear HER(5770): Backworth, East Farm - Details
Backworth, East Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
The 1844 Tithe plan of Backworth shows that East Farm extended to 150 acres, one rod and seven perches. The tenant at that time was John Unwin, who also held High Farm and Castle Hills Farm. By the 1851 census the farm was held by James Unwin . The earliest plans show the farm buildings in a single range along the roadside. The steading was rebuilt by the Duke of Northumberland in the 1840s. The farmhouse now stands on the street frontage at the west end of the site with the farmyard to the east. The buildings around the yard were used as sheds and stables with a barn in the middle of the range. In 1879 there was an open gin-shed on the north side of the north range. Today the house and western stable survive much as shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. The western and northern ranges around the yard have been removed and a large modern steel-framed yard stands in their place. The eastern stable survives. The western building is built of coursed rubblestone with dressed sandstone quoins and openings and a slate roof. It has big segmental-arched cart openings, double doors and stable doors. The eastern building is of rubblestone, open-fronted with a blocked up window in its east wall. It has been considerably reduced in size, the upper walls have been rebuilt and the roof replaced.
<< HER 5770 >> Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2003, East Farm, Backworth,Archaeological Recording 1844, Tithe Award, Northumberland Records Office, DT20M