Tyne and Wear HER(584): Ryton Woodside, Cocks Site 5, cup and ring marked stone - Details
Ryton Woodside, Cocks Site 5, cup and ring marked stone
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Cup and Ring Marked Stone
In 1934, on his Site 5 at Woodside, Cocks found a cup and ring marked stone built into the stone facing of a clay wall, the decorated surface being on the outside. He gave its dimensions as 737 mm x 559 mm x 381 mm, and described it thus: "The stone bears one "cup and ring" with four radial ducts...There are also ten plain cups of circular form; one cup with a deep conical duct; and one large cup which appears to have been formed by uniting two circular cups. All shew the tool marks of manufacture".
<< HER 584 >> Museum of Antiquities, Notebooks of W.A. Cocks W.A. Cocks, 1935, The Ryton 'Cup and Ring' marked Rock, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 4, VI (for 1933-34), pp. 353-4 R. Miket, 1984, The Prehistory of Tyne and Wear, p. 19 no. 4; England's Rock Art (http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/era) ERA 2040