Tyne and Wear HER(585): Ryton, Cocks Site 6, cup marked stone - Details
Ryton, Cocks Site 6, cup marked stone
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Cup and Ring Marked Stone
In 1939 Cocks found, on his Site 6, a cup marked stone c. 40 yards south-west of Tweedy's Buildings, Ryton, where it had been re-used in making a land drain. Of coarse sandstone, its maximum length was 380 mm, and it bore 3 cups, which ranged in diameter from 41 - 63 mm, and in depth from 15 - 19 mm. The "tool pockings" were very distinct in the cups.
<< HER 585 >> Museum of Antiquities, Notebooks of W.A. Cocks W.A. Cocks, 1947, A Cup-Marked Stone at Ryton,Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 4, X (for 1942-46), pp. 87-88 R. Miket, 1984, The Prehistory of Tyne and Wear, p. 19 no. 5; England's Rock Art (http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/era) ERA 2041