Tyne and Wear HER(5857): Marden, Monk-house, gallows - Details
Marden, Monk-house, gallows
MacKenzie records that near to the Monk Stone (HER 102) at a farmstead called Monk-house, the prior of Tynemouth had a gallows. In 1320 the site of the pedestal of the cross and the gallows was called Rodestane and in 1757 Cross Close Pasture.
<< HER 5857 >> E. MacKenzie, 1825, View of the County of Northumberland, Vol 1, pp 459-60 M. Snape, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2004, 88-90 Front Street, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, Archaeological Assessment, p 9