Tyne and Wear HER(5858): Monkseaton, Mills' Farmhouse, later The Ship Inn - Details
Monkseaton, Mills' Farmhouse, later The Ship Inn
Tomlinson describes a farmhouse of Thomas Mills built in 1688. It had a carved fireplace with a stucco frieze bearing the coat of arms of Charles II, with the mongram 'CR' and the Stuart motto "Beati Pacifici" (blessed are the peacemakers). The building became The Ship Inn in 1790, but was destroyed by fire in 1923. The coat of arms was rescued and is now in the Urban District Council Chambers at Whitley Bay. The inn was rebuilt on a site slightly to the west. This was one of a number of fine 17th century houses in Monkseaton. To the west of The Ship was another farmhouse with a fine 17th century fireplace. There was a cottage in 1683 at the east end of the village and in 1698 Red House Farm is recorded.
<< HER 5858 >> W.W. Tomlinson, 1893, Historical Notes on Cullercoats, Whitley and Monkseaton, pp 56-58 M. Snape, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2004, 88-90 Front Street, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, Archaeological Assessment, p 9 P. Johnson, 1993, In the footsteps of Tomlinson, unpublished dissertation C. W. Steel, 2000, Images of England - Monkseaton and Hillheads; North Tyneside Council Development Directorate, August 2006, Monkseaton Conservation Area Character Appraisal Draft