Tyne and Wear HER(5860): Monkseaton, skinnery - Details
Animal Product Site
Leather Industry Site
Tomlinson describes a small house formerly used as a skinnery and storehouse for wool by Joseph Dunn, the butcher. This industrial part of Monkseaton village, set back from Front Street, was called The Fold or Fau'd. Other small-scale industry in The Fold included a saw pit, tin worker, cooper and umbrella repairer. The skinnery is shown on map of 1833, the tithe map of 1845 and the Ordnance Survey first and second editions. By the third edition of 1919 the skinnery had been demolished and replaced by terraced housing. The skinnery would have presumably used lime pits.
<< HER 5860 >> 1833, Map of Monkseaton, Northumberland Records Office, ZHE 63/23 M. Snape, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2004, 88-90 Front Street, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, Archaeological Assessment, p 12 P. Johnson, 1993, In the footsteps of Tomlinson, unpublished dissertation W.W. Tomlinson, 1893, Historical Notes on Cullercoats, Whitley and Monkseaton, pp 56-58