Tyne and Wear HER(5870): Monkseaton, Chapel Lane, Methodist Chapel - Details
Monkseaton, Chapel Lane, Methodist Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Chapel Lane is named after the old Wesleyan chapel which stood on the south end of the road. It was built in 1843 by the village grocer, shoemaker, blacksmith and two labourers. It was restored and a porch was added in 1890. In 1913 the Wesleyans left to take over the church on Front Street. The chapel was bought by Henry Saint who dedicated it to the Congregationalists. It later became known as Fairway Hall. On 29 August 1940 the chapel was destroyed in an air raid. Replaced by a builders' yard and glass store.
<< HER 5870 >> C. W. Steel, 2000, Images of England - Monkseaton and Hillheads, p 17 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1850; North Tyneside Council Development Directorate, August 2006, Monkseaton Conservation Area Character Appraisal Draft; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle & North Tyneside