Tyne and Wear HER(5888): Dinnington, Ground Controlled Interception Station - Details
Dinnington, Ground Controlled Interception Station
Military Observation Site
Station 14G. Ground controlled interception radar was used for guiding night fighters onto attacking bombers. The earliest stations were "mobile" - they had equipment on wheeled caravans and temporary wooden hutting. "Intermediate" stations had aerial arrays mounted above and below a metal gantry, with separate operations huts. "Final" stations built from 1942 onwards had a brick operations block, known as "Happidromes", with a single rotating aerial array, with the equipment housed in a well underneath. The Dinnington GCI Station was in operation by April 1941.
<< HER 5888 >> Council For British Archaeology, 1995, Twentieth Century, Defences in Britain - An Introductory Guide Handbook of The Defence of Britain Project, p 45 C.S. Dobinson, 2000, Twentieth Century Fortifications in England, Acoustics and radar, Appendices, Vol VII, 2,p 173