Tyne and Wear HER(5891): Newcastle, Nuns Moor Park, Prisoner of War Camp - Details
Newcastle, Nuns Moor Park, Prisoner of War Camp
Prisoner of War Camp
Situated on the green to the north of Studley Terrace, occupying the eastern half of Nunsmoor Park. It consisted of a number of parallel accomodation blocks and other large buildings. Can be seen on 1947 aerial photographs. The occupants were Italian prisoners of war. The camp had a low level of security. Prisoners were let out to do work around the town such as road sweeping and postal delivery. The camp seems to have been defended by several trenches to the west. These are still visible as low earthwork ditches or parchmarks, and are visible on 1947 aerial photographs. All exhibit the same configuration of short angled lengths in a zig-zag (similar patterns can be seen in practice trenches on the Salisbury Plain training area and elsewhere). The camp was demolished in 1959.
<< HER 5891 >> RCHME, 1995, Town Moor, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Survey Report, p 39 Aerial Photograph, NMR, 1947, CPE/UK/1193/726 Aerial Photograph, NMR, 1958, 58/RAF/2685/01361 Aerial Photograph, NMR, 1946, CPE/UK/2352/Lib. No. 726; English Heritage, 2008, Hadrian's Wall National Mapping Programme, 1029869; Aerial Photograph RAF/3G/TUD/UK/147 5459 15-APR-1946