Tyne and Wear HER(5940): Felling Way II (George Harrison) - Details
Felling Way II (George Harrison)
A new colliery was opened at High Felling in 1690 by George Harrison, Stephen Owen and Thomas Owen. Harrison had a pit at High Felling and the Owens had others to the east of it. Brandling’s waggonway was reconstructed to carry the increased output. One branch served the Owens’ pits, crossing Felling Burn by a battery north of Brandling Terrace and headed for Crow Hall. Harrison built another branch across open fields and its course was later to become Felling High Street. These two new branches met south of the staith, transforming the waggonway system into a short stem with three branches.
<< HER 5940 >> G. Bennett, E. Clavering & A. Rounding, 1990, A Fighting Trade - Rail Transport in Tyne Coal, 1600-1800, vol 1, p73 A. Williams, 2004, A Fighting Trade - Review and mapping of routes; unpublished document for Tyne & Wear Heritage Environment Record