Tyne and Wear HER(5943): Felling Way V - Details
Felling Way V
Serious redevelopment of Felling Colliery, by Charles Brandling, probably began in 1776 with the first Felling engine. The new colliery had six pits served by a three-pronged waggonway system. By the early 19th century a new pit, called John, was sunk – the nucleus of Felling Colliery that lasted into the 20th century. For this new pit half a mile of track, roughly along the old Carr Hill line, was laid to the staith – but this time in iron.
<< HER 5943 >> G. Bennett, E. Clavering & A. Rounding, 1990, A Fighting Trade - Rail Transport in Tyne Coal, 1600-1800, vol 1, p155 J.T.W. Bell, 1843, The Great Northern Coalfield, 2nd series A. Williams, 2004, A Fighting Trade - Review and mapping of routes; unpublished document for Tyne & Wear Heritage Environment Record