Tyne and Wear HER(5944): Gateshead Park Way - Details
Gateshead Park Way
Serious production did not begin at Gateshead Park Colliery until three engines were installed here between 1740 and 1746 and two at Friar’s Goose in 1749, to solve drainage problems. The first Gateshead Park waggonway was laid to the original staith at the Trunk, and was still in use in 1754. Not long afterwards it was replaced by another, much shorter, way giving access to the below-bridge Salt Meadows staiths. The colliery may have been taken out of production in 1767. A new deeper colliery was opened outside Gateshead Park in 1798. It was nearer the river and took over the Salt Meadow facilities, probably using an iron way; together with the staith, it was given the name Tyne Main.
<< HER 5944 >> G. Bennett, E. Clavering & A. Rounding, 1990, A Fighting Trade - Rail Transport in Tyne Coal, 1600-1800, vol 1, p 156 A. Williams, 2004, A Fighting Trade - Review and mapping of routes; unpublished document for Tyne & Wear Heritage Environment Record