Tyne and Wear HER(5951): Hollinside Way - Details
The earliest way known on the east side of the Derwent, built by Alderman White and partners in 1692. They built two connected waggonways, one from west Whickham and the other from Hollinside, joining in the Morrisfield to follow a common path to Swalwell. Although there is a gap of six months between the leases they must have been planned together. The Hollinside lease dates to April 1692. The route to be followed was identical with that of the Bucksnook Way (the first Western Way) and was about 2½ miles long.
<< HER 5951 >> G. Bennett, E. Clavering & A. Rounding, 1990, A Fighting Trade - Rail Transport in Tyne Coal 1600-1800 vol 2.13 A. Williams, 2004, A Fighting Trade - Review and mapping of routes; unpublished document for Tyne & Wear Heritage Environment Record; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 59/59a) 156, 171; TWAS, Map in Cotesworth Papers CK/5/183