Tyne and Wear HER(5955): Lands Wagonway - Details
Lands Waggonway was built by Albert Silvertop in 1728 and was considered a branch of the Western Way. In 1742 it was given branches to new pits and later, in the 1750s, a new pit was sunk called the Pyanett, or Magpie, Pit. Operations here were extended in the 1760s west of the late Norman Riding Hospital, where remains of a waggonway can be traced on the ground, but which has no obvious connection to a major way. Lands Colliery seems to have failed by 1787 when the Lands Way does not appear on Gibsonâ€™s map.
<< HER 5955 >> G. Bennett, E. Clavering & A. Rounding, 1990, A Fighting Trade - Rail Transport in Tyne Coal 1600-1800 A. Williams, 2004, A Fighting Trade - Review and mapping of routes; unpublished document for Tyne & Wear Heritage Environment Record; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 62a) 156, 171; NEIMME Watson 31/14 and 31/19