Tyne and Wear HER(5983): Swalwell, Northumber Paper Mills - Details
Swalwell, Northumber Paper Mills
Swalwell Paper Mill is shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. In 1883 a lease was issued to William Grace and Co. of Scotswood, paper-makers, for a new paper mill on part of the site of Swalwell Ironworks (HER 5979). The arrangement was formalised in 1891. Ridley & Co kept the south side of the ironworks site, which included the rolling mill and forge, for a steel and engineering works. Grace's site included the Grand Warehouse, two cementation furnaces and everything west and north of the Grand Warehouse, all of which were demolished. William Grace & Co probably brought their Northumberland Paper Mill into production in 1887 and by 1894 it was making manillas, rope and browns, glazed and unglazed casings and tips.
<< HER 5983 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map; Pre-Construct Archaeology, 2005, Archaeological Investigations at Sands Road, Swalwell, Gateshead; David Cranstone, 2011, From Slitting Mill to Alloy Steel: the Development of Swalwell Ironworks, p 55; Durham Record Office documents CC/X 13/14, D/CG 7/16939, D/CG 7/1664, D/CG 7/1689; Stirk, 2006, The Lost Mills: a history of papermaking in County Durham, pp 179-180; Newcastle Weekly Chronicle 25 October 1890