Tyne and Wear HER(6018): Blaydon, Shibdon Road, St. John's Wesleyan Church - Details
Blaydon, Shibdon Road, St. John's Wesleyan Church
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Blaydon Wesleyan Methodist Church opened in 1893, to seat 400 people. Cost £2600. The church was built in the Early English style. The society was part of Gateshead Wesleyan Methodist Circuit until 1875 when it was split into two and the society joined the new Bensham Road Wesleyan Methodist Circuit. In the mid 1930s the society became part of Gateshead West Methodist Circuit. In 1937 the church was renmaed St. John's. In 1944 the Methodist societies at St. John's, Albert Street (Primitive Methodist) and Lucy Street amalgamated. The chapel at Lucy Street continued as a chapel, whilst St. John's became a Sunday School and church hall. In 1967 St. John's church burnt down and a youth club was built in its place. This too has been demolished.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map; Susan Lynn, 7 April 2017, St. John's Wesleyan Methodist Church, Blaydon, County Durham https://www.mywesleyanmethodists.org.uk/content/chapels/county-durham/blaydon_st_johns_wesleyan_methodist_church; Tyne and Wear Archives, church records 1887-1954; The History of Blaydon (TWAS)