Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Newcastle, Worswick Street, RC Church of St. Andrew

Tyne and Wear HER(6033): Newcastle, Worswick Street, RC Church of St. Andrew - Details

Back to Search Results


6033


Newcastle


Newcastle, Worswick Street, RC Church of St. Andrew


Newcastle


NZ26SE


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Church


Roman Catholic Church


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Parish church built c.1880 and attached presbytery built 1863 to the designs of important Victorian architect EW Pugin. Stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Presbytery has rock-faced plinth. Set back entrance fa├žade has doorway reached by six steps with a plank door with ornate iron hinges and overlight. To the right are two casements with leaded lattice glazing and stained glass panels. Interior retains original wooden staircase with two turned balusters per tread and moulded handrail, original marble fireplaces on ground floor, original doors, shutters, plaster coving and skirting boards. Church is also rock-faced with ashlar dressings. West front has glazed iron canopy over entrance. Central arched doorway with large rose window above. Arched windows. Interior - nave arcade has octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. Elaborate wooden roof. West galley with organ supported on two tall iron columns. LISTED GRADE 2


2509


6435


NZ25096435



2nd edition Ordnance Survey map 1890; Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest 1833/21/10078; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p 143

Back to Search Results