Tyne and Wear HER(6051): Newbottle, Over the Hill Farm - Details
Newbottle, Over the Hill Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition map. The farmstead incorporates a series of diverse ranges of barns (one with slit windows), a granary and a dovecote with pretty arched openings. The farmhouse dates to the early twentieth century. The farm was in the Nesham Estate in the early nineteenth century, but was sold to the Lambton Estate in the 1830s. After the Second World War it was sold to the Greenshields. In 1839 as described in the Tithe Apportionment for Newbottle, the farm was predominantly arable and was just over 100 acres in extent. At this time only the western element of the present farm existed. By the middle of the nineteenth century the layout of the farm had extended considerably and included a new eatern range (hemmel or cattle shelter with arched entrances, and a brick built byre or shippen to the east) and a farmhouse. By the second edition Ordnance Survey the farmhouse had been replaced by (the surviving) cottages and the farm ranges had been extended again. Apart from the new farmhouse, little has been added to the property since the 1890s. The farm buildings are shells however, with few original fixtures and fittings except some of the roof trusses.
1st edition Ordnance Survey map