Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Low Greenside, Greenside House

Tyne and Wear HER(6086): Low Greenside, Greenside House - Details

Back to Search Results


6086


Gateshead


Low Greenside, Greenside House


Greenside


NZ16SW


Domestic


Dwelling


House


Post Medieval


C18-C19


Extant Building


Shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. Late C18, rear of 1832. Porch with anthemion frieze and Tuscan columns from Lemington Hall, Sugley, which was demolished in 1952 for Stella Power Station. DESCRIPTION The principal part of Greenside house is of 2 storeys with a peripheral part of 1 ½ storeys. Built of Stoneywaite sandstone rubble with dressed details. The shallow, double-pitched roof is slated and terminated at the gables by stone water tables with Ravensworth kneeler and Fleur de Lys pinnacle detail. Brick chimneys with cornices and octagonal pots are positioned at either end of each ridge. There are various window styles (all timber), some of which are leaded and appear to be original. To the principal elevation there is a full height projecting gable with substantial stone square bay windows to either side. One is 2 bays wide with leaded lights – alterations have been made here. The other has 3 bays with single pane sashes – both have an entablature atop, that on the smaller bay appearing to be older. The door is semi-glazed with 2 over 2 sashes to the 1st floor above and small windows both to the side and in the top of the gable. The other elevation has a single leaded sash and a triple window to the ground floor and unequal 3 over 3 sashes to the 1st floor. In the centre there is a substantial porch constructed of ashlar and decorative elements which have been reused from an older building and is therefore much more weathered and of different colouring. The original cast iron rainwater goods with decorative hopper heads are still present but painted white – the gutter being supported on stone brackets. MATERIALS Stoneywaite sandstone, slate, brick, leaded lights, cast iron ARCHITECT Builder John Davison DATES 1862-4 STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE The design is simple and harmonious with attractively subtle detailing, and the materials and build are of exceptional quality. The building may incorporate elements from an older building on the site, is visually warm and has been well cared for. Any alterations have been sensitively executed with natural materials. The garden setting makes a special contribution to its character. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Internally there is an original mosaic floor running through the depth of the house. It was built for Dr A H Dodd whose son, a surgeon in Newcastle, has a memorial plaque in St. Nicholas’ Cathedral, Newcastle. LOCAL LIST


1409


6257


NZ14096257



1st edition Ordnance Survey map X20/LL/292; Greenside: A Brief History, Scott