Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Greenside, Kyo Hall Farm (East Kyo)

Tyne and Wear HER(6152): Greenside, Kyo Hall Farm (East Kyo) - Details

Back to Search Results



Greenside, Kyo Hall Farm (East Kyo)



Agriculture and Subsistence



Post Medieval


Extant Building

Kyo Hall Farm is believed to have been built by Issac Silvertop c.1667. Shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map as "Kyo". It was later called Old Kyo Farm once New Kyo (now West Kyo) was built. Now called "Kyo Hall". Alternatively called East Kyo. Gateshead Council's Local List entry says that in the 19th century it was the home of the Young family, noted Methodists, whose son Robert became a well-known preacher and after whom the Memorial chapel in Crawcrook is named. However John Todd, whose family lived in the farm from 1820 until 1891, disputes this. The Todd family actually are noted as occupying Kyo Hall in 1767 - Joseph Todd a Papist Viewer, farmer and principal agent for the Silvertop family. The next occupant was his son Joseph Cuthbert Todd - his three sons Joannes (John, 1794), Josephus (Joseph, 1795) and Thomas 1797 were all born at Kyo. Thomas Todd, who was the nephew of Joseph Cuthbert and also a land agent for Silvertop family was living at Kyo from 1813. Thomas died there 11th January 1871. The last Todd at Kyo was William Todd grandson of Thomas Todd above. In 1891 the Lanchester family lived there. They were still there in 1901. In 1911 George Thomas Charlton is listed there. The date 1667 used to be visible above the door but it has worn away. MORE RESEARCH NEEDED TO UNTANGLE ALL THE HOUSES AT KYO. The main farmhouse is of 2 storeys in stuccoed stone with stone surrounds to windows. The roof is of slate with moulded stone corniced chimneys and water tables with moulded kneelers to the gables. It has 5 bays, although unfortunately all the windows have been replaced with PVCu. To the ground floor there are full height patio doors, a porch with balcony over the central door, and a window to the other side. To the first floor the central window has been replaced with a door to the balcony. There are a range of agricultural buildings on the site. Despite alterations, it retains meaningful character, and is significant both historically and as a rare agricultural survival in the borough. MATERIALS Stucco, stone DATES Part probably 18th century, part 19th century. LOCAL LIST




1st edition Ordnance Survey map; Gateshead Council Local List X20/LL/160; pers comm Mr John Todd, 22 January 2015; Research on Kyo Hall Farm by John Todd 9th December 2015; Survey map of Kyo Hall Farm, 1792 by Henry Todd for John Silvertop, Durham University Library GB-0033-GBU-167

Back to Search Results