Tyne and Wear HER(6166): Dunston Colliery - Details
Coal Mining Site
Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Opened in 1875, closed in 1876, reopened in 1891 and finally closed for the last time in December 1947. It was opened by John Bowes & Partners Ltd, and later owned by Dunston Garesfield Colleries Ltd.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Whellan, 1894, Directory of County Durham