Tyne and Wear HER(6189): Gateshead, Redheugh Colliery - Details
Gateshead, Redheugh Colliery
Coal Mining Site
Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Opened 1872 and closed 28 May 1927. Owners were John Fleming and John Milling, later Redheugh Colliery Ltd. In 1894 the annual output of coal was 120,000 tons. 420 people worked at the colliery. On 5 January 1929 there was an explosion. The flames apparently reached 70 feet above the winding shaft. The timber seals over the shaft were blown 60 yards away and the rope wheel from the fan shaft, 90 yards. Over 200 window panes of glass in nearby houses smashed.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Mines Inspectors Annual Report for 1929