Tyne and Wear HER(6219): Walker, Church Street, methodist chapel (Vaudeville Cinema) - Details
Walker, Church Street, methodist chapel (Vaudeville Cinema)
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Primitive Methodist Chapel. Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Built 1896. Seated 200. This Primitive Methodist Chapel was converted into the Vaudeville Picture Palace in October 1910. The architects were White and Stephenson, the owner T. Proctor. The picture hall seated 360 people. There was a small stage and space for a pianist. The pictures were supplemented by two variety acts. In June 1911 the new owner T.M. Miller increased the seating to 390 by adding a small balcony reached by six steps. In May 1912 William Baker (who already ran the Gaiety in Newcastle, the Coliseum in Whitley Bay and the Empire in Wheatley Hill) took over. Around 1919 he was joined by his cousin Thomas Roche who ran the Imperial at Tyne Dock. Sound came in 1931. The proscenium arch was lit by multicoloured light bulbs and had a pelmet with an embroidered crown at its centre. The Vaudeville closed on 2 August 1958.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map; Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, page 175; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and N Tyneside, a survey