Tyne and Wear HER(6233): Byker, Clifford Street, Church of St. Silas - Details
Title of image: St. Silas' Church, Clifford Street, Byker
Date: circa 1912
Description: A view of the exterior of St. Silas' Church, Clifford Street, Byker taken c.1912. The photograph shows the west side of the church which has a polygonal turret. St. Silas' Church was designed by R.J. Johnson and built in 1884-6. Funds were raised from an appeal launched by Ernest Wilberforce the first bishop of Newcastle.
Additional info: Lantern slide
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Churches Collection
Accession number: NCL 008261
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Byker, Clifford Street, Church of St. Silas
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Parish church. 1886 by R.J. Johnson; alterations 1899. Snecked sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings. Tiled roof with stone coping. Arched double door in moulded surround in north aisle westernmost bay. Similar door and 2-light window in east end of aisle. Similar west doors inserted in 1899, flank large round-headed window with tracery. Battleemnted octagonal belfry turret at north-west has canted bapistry adjoining. Interior - painted plaster above boarded dado, arch-braced collar truss roof. 5-bay arcade of tall octagonal piers. Gothic-style reredos of Caen stone was 1899 gift from vicar. Painted panelled coved canopy above. Octagonal stone font, wooden rail and kneeler. Glass in east and bapistry windows by Atkinson Bros. of Newcastle. Stone relief panel in south wall commemorating Elizabeth Harbottle, founder of the Harbottle Charity, has angels flanking inscription of early 20th century. LISTED GRADE 2
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest