Tyne and Wear HER(6250): Newcastle, St. Mary's Place, Eye Infirmary - Details
Newcastle, St. Mary's Place, Eye Infirmary
Health and Welfare
Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Purpose-built and opened in 1885, Newcastle Eye Hospital had four wards and three private rooms. It cost £6,000. By the 1930s the hospital had a waiting list of 150 and was hampered by lack of space and facilities. It closed in 1957 when patients were transferred to Walkergate Hospital (HER 5390).
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map 1890; Lynn Redhead, 1996, Hospitals; National Monument Record, RCHME Hospitals Project, 1991-1995, UID 1050602; UID 1075533 NBR 102630; Geoffrey Fisher & Rev. Terry Hurst, North East Methodist History Society, 2009, Brunswick Place 1821-1992, Newcastle upon Tyne, page 12