Tyne and Wear HER(6284): Newcastle, Summerhill Grove, school - Details
Newcastle, Summerhill Grove, school
Shown on Ordnance Survey Second Edition. The central stone block of the school was designed by John Dobson. It was built 1850-51 as a replacement hall for the Barber Surgeons, whose old hall in the Manors was demolished for Manors Station. From 1851-1857 it housed one of the two rival medical colleges that were formed from the old college at the old Barber Surgeons Hall. In 1857, this college merged with its rival, moving to their building off Neville Street. The Barber Surgeons sold the building for St Pauls' Church of England School in 1862.
Ordnance Survey Second Edition, 1890; City Guides Information A-Z, 1988