Tyne and Wear HER(631): Barlow village - Details
The earliest reference to Barlow is in Boldon Buke (1183 survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset) , when it was listed with Winlaton, and it seems to have remained just a hamlet in the township of Winlaton. In plan it is very long and straggly, lying on rising ground (137 to 167 m) on a road from Winlaton. By the 19th century it seems to have been a colliery village, and it still retains farms, and other stone houses, of - this period on the main street.
<< HER 631 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1852, Boldon Buke, Surtees Society, 25, p. 69 R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, II, p. 276 W. Bourn, 1896, History of the Parish of Ryton, pp. 159-60 Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Tithe Awards, 1840 Winlaton Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1:2,500 scale, Durham V.4 and 8 Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Gibson, Collection, nos. 59, 61-65 B.K. Roberts & D. Austin, 1975, A Preliminary Check-List of Rural Clusters in County Durham, p. 39