Tyne and Wear HER(6320): Elswick, Elswick Road, Presbyterian Church - Details
Title of image: John Knox Church, Elswick Road/Beech Grove Road, Elswick
Date: circa 1900
Description: A view of the exterior of John Knox Church, Elswick Road/Beech Grove Road, Elswick taken c.1900. The photograph has been taken from Elswick Road looking across to the front and the side of the church. The church was designed by Cackett in 1896. It is Italianate in style with a SW tower.
Additional info: Lantern slide
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Churches Collection
Accession number: NCL 025244
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Elswick, Elswick Road, Presbyterian Church
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Congregation from John Knox, Clayton Street West. Built 1896 for the congregation from Clayton Street West, who were seeking larger premises. The church was in use until 1953, it later became a Boys Brigade Centre, then Factory Project House. Demolished 1983. A 1900 photograph of the church shows it terraced into the slope of the ground so that it is below the level of Elswick Road.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and North Tyneside, a survey; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2013, Bristol Terrace, Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Assessment