Tyne and Wear HER(6345): Fenham, Brighton Grove, Church of St. Augustine of Hippo - Details
Title of image: St. Augustine's Church, Brighton Grove, Fenham
Description: A view of the exterior of St. Augustine's Church, Brighton Grove, Fenham taken in 1965. The photograph shows the side of the church which faces onto Brighton Grove. The tower and spire can be seen to the right.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Churches Collection
Accession number: NCL 015109
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Fenham, Brighton Grove, Church of St. Augustine of Hippo
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. The Victorian church of St Augustine of Hippo was consecrated in 1892. It is a fine sandstone building of two storeys and also has a tower. A roof from the ground floor aisles leads up to a row of stained glass windows on the second storey. The tower rises to a tall spire which is surrounded by four smaller spires. The tower is decorated with blind arcading and four large pointed arches each containing two lancet windows. LOCAL LIST
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map