Tyne and Wear HER(635): Thornley manor - Details
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
Surtees, the early 19th century antiquarian, records that in 1361 Agnes widow of John de Menevyll of Horden held the manor of Thorneley in Winlaton from Ralph Nevill. It is mentioned in 1368 following the death of Sir Ralph Nevill, and probably stayed in that family until the sale of Winlaton in 1569. From In 1636 William Tempest gent. acquired from Sir William Selby half a messuage, a tofeet and garden, 200 acres of meadow, 200 of pasture, 100 of arable and 100 of moor and whin in Thornley. The present house contains traces of 17th century windows, but there is no visible evidence for a medieval building.
<< HER 635 >> R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, II, 274 W. Bourn, 1896, History of the Parish of Ryton, pp. 156-7