Tyne and Wear HER(6351): Benwell, Westgate Road, Condercum House - Details
Benwell, Westgate Road, Condercum House
Originally called Benwell Little Park in Little Park Field. Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. An 1860s mansion on the west side of Condercum Road. Two storey brick building with seven bedrooms, outbuildings and lodge. George Wightwick Rendel was the first tenant of Condercum House, by 1871 it was occupied by his brother Stuart Rendel and his family. In 1887 it was the home of Col. Dwyer, a director of the Armstrong Works, and in the 1880s of Thomas E. Crawhall. It was later occupied by William Cochrane Carr and by 1901 the shipowner J.F. Weidner. The estate was sold in 1934 and demolished in 1937 to be redeveloped for residential housing probably by Hadden and Hilman who developed Benwell Park Estate around the same time.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map; Pers Comm. Ian Farrier, 2014, West Newcastle Picture History Collection; Newcastle Courant