Tyne and Wear HER(6379): Clara Vale Colliery - Details
Clara Vale Colliery
Coal Mining Site
Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Opened in July 1893, closed in 1966. It was owned by the Stella Coal Company Ltd, until the National Coal Board took it over in 1947. Whellan described [in 1894] how the colliery had electric lighting and an associated brickworks. Daily output of coal was 300 tons. There were two shafts, each 68 fathoms deep, to the Brockwell Seam.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Whellan, 1894, Directory of County Durham; Norman Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield; Gateshead Council, 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Clara Vale Conservation Area, pp 32-34; Archaeological Research Services Ltd. 2012, Clara Vale Pithead Baths, Gateshead - Archaeological Assessment