Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Crawcrook, Main Road, Robert Young Memorial Chapel

Tyne and Wear HER(6399): Crawcrook, Main Road, Robert Young Memorial Chapel - Details

Back to Search Results

Robert Young Methodist Chapel, Crawcrook



Crawcrook, Main Road, Robert Young Memorial Chapel



Religious Ritual and Funerary


Methodist Chapel

Early Modern


Extant Building

Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map as a methodist chapel. This chapel was raised in memory of the local Methodist preacher and missionary Robert Young. He was well thought of and the local Methodist community were proud to be associated with him. It is well built with un-lavish but individual detailing. Chapel building of 1 storey with single storey hall adjoining to the east side. They are both constructed of sandstone rubble with ashlar detailing. The stone was hewn by the trustees and some helpers from a local quarry between Emmaville and the Wylam Road, using borrowed carts. The roof of the church is of Welsh slate with slightly swept water tables to each gable terminating in decorative kneelers. There is a chamfered plinth course beneath the windows to the sides incorporating the sills. To the principal (north) elevation there is a stone pinnacle atop the gable, and a large porch below which is gabled to the centre but flanked by ‘lean-to’ pitches. This also has water tables with kneelers, and it crowned by a smaller pinnacle of the same design. The timber plank door sits between 2 pairs of lancets – the lancet pairs being repeated to the side with single lancets interspersed. The hall is similar with a lower ridge line, with the door being set in a moulded stone surround with tudor arch in the east side of the porch. A lancet pair is the central feature of the street elevation. There are some original cast iron rainwater goods with decorative hopper heads. MATERIALS Sandstone, slate, cast iron ARCHITECT Charles Wesley Hutchinson DATES 1875 LOCAL LIST




2nd edition Ordnance Survey map; Gateshead Council Local List X20/LL/175; W Bourn, 1893, History of the Parish of Ryton

Back to Search Results