Tyne and Wear HER(6405): Ryton, Main Road, Congregational Church - Details
Ryton, Main Road, Congregational Church
Religious Ritual and Funerary
The church is a single storey building in the Early English style. It is of loosely dressed stone with ashlar details. The roof is of slate. The windows are wide lancets with ashlar sills, arches and jambs – the upper ones being arranged in a trio. These upper windows retain their leaded lights, whilst the lower ones are gone, but all are covered in sheet polythene. The door is a double timber plank with large wrought iron hinges and ashlar pointed arch surround. Both this and the windows have hood mouldings over, and the door additionally has a coped gable porch above. To each side of the front elevation are modest buttresses, and a small bell turret tops the gable, although there is no bell present now. It has seating for 260 people. MATERIALS Sandstone, slate, timber, stained glass DATES 1861 STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE The church is a simple but elegant example of its type with subtle but fine detailing. It represents an important development in the religious life of the area since it was the result of an amalgamation of 2 congregations between whom it was situated. Most of the original features remain intact (except for the unfortunate loss of the lower leaded lights) and its frontage to the street is attractively symmetrical. There is a great emphasis on the triangular shape, with the gable; pointed arches, porch and bell turret all lifting the eye toward the heavens. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION The cost of building was £400 the later extension cost £500. The Sunday School cost £200 and was extended for £700 in 1878. It was registered for marriages on 2/4/1862. The organ was built by Blackett and Danson. The church was recorded in 2010 ahead of conversion.
Gateshead Council Local List X20/LL/173; Church registers TWAS L/4394; Gradon Architecture, 2010, United Reformed Church and Hall Ryton, Gateshead - Archaeological Buildings Recording