Tyne and Wear HER(6428): Newcastle, Grainger Park Road, White House - Details
Newcastle, Grainger Park Road, White House
Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Recently offices for Newcastle General Hospital. Recorded ahead of demolition in 2009 by ARS. The building was constructed between 1854 and 1893 and was originally two semi-detatched villa style houses. It was constructed with narrow lime jointed bricks of white clay with sandstone quoins and mouldings. The roofing was of slate tiles and white brick chimney. A north west block was added in 1906 and the buildings were amalgamated c.1951. A survey of the interior revealed that the layout and style of the majority of rooms had changed significantly probably in the 1950s. The only original features were the windows and in some rooms, ornate ceiling coving.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map; Archaeological Research Services Ltd., 2009, White House, Benwell, Newcastle upon Tyne - Historic Building Recording; Archaeological Research Services Ltd., 2009, White House, Benwell, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Evaluation