Tyne and Wear HER(6434): Newcastle, Gallowgate, coach house - Details
Newcastle, Gallowgate, coach house
Road Transport Site
A coach house and stable was in existence (possibly newly built) in 1730, when Thomas Armstrong, Hostman was granted a lease. The ground to the east was enclosed and described as "a waste". On Armstrong's death it passed to his administrator, also Thomas Armstrong, and Rev. Henry Wastell, who conveyed the building to Joseph Bell of Ryall, Northumberland, in 1759. By 1785 the building had become a slaughterhouse with a "dunghill" on one side, owned by the Mayor, Edward Mosley.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 1999, Hanro, Gallowgate Development - Archaeological Assessment