Tyne and Wear HER(6438): Newcastle, Bath Lane, bowling green - Details
Newcastle, Bath Lane, bowling green
Ball Sports Site
This land, part of Warden's Close, had previously been used for grazing. As early as 1815 it ceased to be used as grazing land because the smoke from the adjacent lead works (HER 6435) had "rendered the grass injurious to the health of the horses". So in 1824 much of the Close was let as a bowling green. By the 20th century the bowling green site had been taken over by college buildings (HER 6294). The bowling green was opened in May 1827. A tavern was built by the subscribers, where they held an annual dinner at the beginning of the season.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 1999, Hanro, Gallowgate Development - Archaeological Assessment; T. Oliver, 1830, Plan of Newcastle and Gateshead; Ordnance Survey first edition 1850; drawing in Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - charting the heritage of people at play, p 137