Tyne and Wear HER(6440): Newcastle, Bath Lane, Congregational Church - Details
Title of image: Bath Lane Congregational Church, Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne
Artist: City Engineers
Description: A view of the exterior of Bath Lane Congregational Church, Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne taken in 1986.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Churches Collection
Accession number: NCL 049473
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle, Bath Lane, Congregational Church
Religious Ritual and Funerary
A Congregational church was built on the corner of the newly formed Corporation Street and Bath Lane in 1860 for the preacher, doctor and educationalist John Hunter Rutherford. In 1939 it was replaced by the West End Congregational Church, Two Ball Lonnen. The building to the rear was Rutherford College Boys' School, built 1894. It later became the College of Arts and Techology before being demolished in 1987.
Ordnance Survey second edition 1890; A.D. Walton, 1998, Bygone Arthurs Hill and Westgate; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and North Tyneside, a survey