Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Ravensworth Park

Tyne and Wear HER(646): Ravensworth Park - Details

Back to Search Results



Ravensworth Park



Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces


Landscape Park




Ravensworth Park appears to have been enclosed by licence granted to Sir Henry Fitzhugh c. 1391, but was earlier mentioned in a deed of 1356 when John Lumley granted Robert Umfravill "the site, demesne, park, meadows and pasture of the manor of Raueneshelme" for a term, and with the right to work a coal pit. The Ordnance Survey notes that the limits of the park, which is surprisingly intact, are made up of modern fences and other features. An early 18th century garden plan shows an avenue with two further avenues branching to the side, and Sir Henry Liddell suggested plantations and a canal and pond for the park in 1723, but whether they were ever installed is unclear. The 19th century house stood on a substantial terrace with ornamental gardens to the north west. These are still discernable, but there is little sign today of the fine arboretum shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1898. Existing planting basically follows the 1857 Ordnance Survey. A lodge and gateway remain at the former principal entrance to the east, and the park has an attractive home farm and other vernacular buildings of interest. LOCAL LIST




<< HER 646 >> Ordnance Survey archaeological record cards, ISS. 1978, Medieval deer park H.E. Bell,1939, Calendar of Deeds given to the Society by Lord Ravensworth, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XVI, p. 56 no. 38 F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 18-19 F. Green, 1995, Historic Parks & Gardens in Tyne and Wear, Stage 2, Research 1834, Gardeners Magazine, Vol 10, p363-4 Surtees, 1824, The Antiquities of the County of Durham; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2006, Ravensworth Castle, Gateshead; North of England Civic Trust, 2008, Ravensworth Castle, Gateshead, Conservation Plan; Gateshead Local List X20/LLG/11

Back to Search Results