Tyne and Wear HER(648): Kibblesworth village - Details
In 1180 a Roger de Kibblesworth witnessed a charter of Bishop Puiset alienating half the manor. This is the earliest reference to the name, since it is not in Boldon Buke (a survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset). In 1368 Alex de Kibblesworth died in possession of the upper hall and half the vill, and his 4 heirs divided the property, so giving rise to some, but not all, the freehold properties listed in Hatfield's Survey, a number of which were outside the township. The other half was held by the Scruteville family. It has been classed as an "irregular two-row plan with green", and this shape is still apparent in spite of many later alterations.
<< HER 648 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, pp. 107-8, 262 W. Hutchinson, 1787, History of...Durham, II, 491-2, 528-31 R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, II, 216-17 H.E. Bell, 1939, Calendar of Deeds given to the Society by Lord Ravensworth, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XVI, pp. 43-70, nos. 4, 66, 77, 80-82 J. Fryer, 1782, Kibblesworth, BP.3.103 1806, Blackburn Fell Enclosure, (Kibblesworth Common), BP.3. Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Tithe Awards, 1840, Lamesley Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1:2,500 scale, Durham VI.16