Tyne and Wear HER(65): Sunderland, Nile Street, Quaker Meeting House 2 - Details
Sunderland, Nile Street, Quaker Meeting House 2
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Nonconformist Meeting House
Friends Meeting House
The Quakers built a meeting house at the corner of Nile Street and Borough Road in 1822 or 1823 to succeed the earlier one in High Street. It survived until c.1976. Its burying ground existed on its north side until 1856 or 1857, and other buildings came to be arranged around it, including a library, lecture room, women's meeting room and caretaker's cottage. On the adjacent site to the west the Quakers built a school in 1859 which, with later alterations, still stands.
<< HER 65 >> C.B. Walker, 1979, The East End of Sunderland, Antiquities of Sunderland, Vol. 27 (for 1977-79), p. 81 Ordnance Survey maps, Ordnance Survey, 1st ed. 1:500, sheet 23 Quaker exhibition display boards, Quakers 1, 3, 5, 6- Sunderland Museum; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, List of Non-Conformist Chapels in Sunderland