Tyne and Wear HER(6506): Newcastle, Newgate Street (Market Street) - Details
Newcastle, Newgate Street (Market Street)
Road Transport Site
This street derives its name from the New Gate constructed with the town walls in the mid 13th century, although the street existed before ("vicus fori" - first reference before 1235) and was already used for market trading. The New Gate was partly removed by 1808 and totally gone by 1823 as the town began to expand beyond the town walls towards Barras Bridge, a small extra-mural village to the north. The market trade in Newcastle continued to develop in Newgate Street and Bigg Market, until the whole open space from the New Gate to the Cathedral was a mass of specialist markets. At the natural open space created by the junction of Low Friar Street and Newgate Street was the site of a medieval market cross, known later as the White Cross. Here markets would be called and proclamations made. It was also a place of public correction as a pillory stood here - and was used - in 1758. The lower part of Newgate Street, below Darn Crook, was known as Huxter's-Booths, because it was here that the Huxter's lived - those who supplied the religious houses with provisions. In 1736 some of these houses still stood near the White Cross.
H. Bourne, 1736, The History of Newcastle upon Tyne, p 47; Gray, 1649, Chorographia; Barbara Harbottle, 2009, The Medieval Archaeology of Newcastle in Diana Newton and AJ Pollard (eds), 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead before 1700, pages 26 and 37; Oliver, Early Deeds, p 299; Calendar of Close Rolls 1429-36, pp 1-2; Northumberland and Durham Deeds 1929, pp 1-2; Newcastle upon Tyne City Libraries & Arts, 1984, Gone…But not Forgotten 7 - Shops and Shopping, 13; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2010, Eldon Square Redevelopment 2007-2009 - Archaeological Evaluation