Tyne and Wear HER(6507): Newcastle, Gallowgate - Details
Road Transport Site
The earliest reference to Gallowgate seems to be 1378. Criminals were taken along Gallowgate to the gallows on the Town Moor (HER 6509) near Fenham Barracks, where between 1650 and 1829 44 people were executed. A separate gallows for Northumberland criminals stood outside the West Gate in the 18th century and early 19th century.
D. Lovie, 1997, The Buildings of Grainger Town; J. Brand, 1789, History of Newcastle upon Tyne; J. Raine et al, 1835-1929, Northumberland and Durham Deeds, Surtees Society 38, p 146; B. Harbottle and P. Clack 1976, Newcastle upon Tyne: Archaeology and Development, in D.W. Harding (ed), 1976, Archaeology in the North; H. Bourne, 1736, The History of Newcastle upon Tyne, p 147