Tyne and Wear HER(6512): Newcastle, Stowell Street - Details
Newcastle, Stowell Street
Road Transport Site
This street, began in 1824, was built through the Blackfriars precinct. It was a dead end until the 1850s when a gap was made through the town wall south of Heber Tower to link it with Bath Lane.
D. Lovie, 1997, The Buildings of Grainger Town; Jack and John Leslie, 2003, Down our streets - Newcastle's street names explored, p 21; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p 174