Tyne and Wear HER(6514): Newcastle, Pilgrim Street, Fox and Lamb Public House - Details
Newcastle, Pilgrim Street, Fox and Lamb Public House
Knowles (1894) wrote a paper describing the 1631 "Fox and Lamb" public house before demolition, with a plan and sketched elevations. He recorded fabric which pre-dated the 17th century pub - gables on the north and south, walls, the infilled Lort Burn, lower portions of front and passage walls and a pointed chamfered arch. All thought to be 15th century. A second arch with flatter chamfers was thought to be later, but pre-dating the 17th century. Inside there was an arched stone recess and a central projecting oriel bay and fireplace. Two plaster panels from the fireplace, dated 1651, were retained by the National Telephone Company who later bought the property. There are some discussions of a ground floor barber's shop in connection with Dr Smollett. Whilst the public house was being pulled down, portions of the older doorways and arches were uncovered. A small pointed window was found whilst removing a fire place in the 3rd storey in the older wall on the south side. The old window had evidently been part of another house standing when the Fox and Lamb was built, and would look out into an open space upon which the late building was erected in 1631 [Information from a letter from a Mr. John Robinson].
W.H Knowles, 1894, The Old Fox and Lamb Public House, Pilgrim Street, Newcastle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne (2) VI (1895), p 95; Bennison, Brian, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume One, The Central Area, p 35