Tyne and Wear HER(6517): Newcastle, Pilgrim Street, Pilgrims Inn - Details
Newcastle, Pilgrim Street, Pilgrims Inn
In the medieval period there was a Pilgrim's Inn in Pilgrim Street, where pilgrims who came to visit St Mary's Chapel in Jesmond stayed. Bourne (1736) reports that the inn was on the west side of the street adjoining the north side of the House of Edward Collingwood, 116 yards from the southernmost corner of Upper Dean Bridge. The inn was holden of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, and belonged at that time to Mr James Hargrave. During the reign of Henry VIII the inn was known as St. Cuthbert's Inn. It was demolished c.1777 and thick ancient walls were discovered.
W. Gray, 1649, Chorographia, p 19; H. Bourne, 1736, The History of Newcastle upon Tyne, p 81; Graham, F. 1959, Old Inns and Taverns of Northumberland