Tyne and Wear HER(6528): Newcastle, Alvey's Island - Details
Newcastle, Alvey's Island
Road Transport Site
Below Carliol Croft was a place traditionally called Alvey's Island, so called because when the tide flowed up to the Stockbridge it created a hill of sand which looked like an island when the tide went out. The land belonged to someone called Alvey. A Mr. George Hinkster had a house, cellars and maltings on this land, bounded on the west, north and south by King's Street and on the east by a piece of waste ground formerly called the Stones, owned by a Lady Goldsburgh.
H. Bourne, 1736, The History of Newcastle upon Tyne, p 138.