Tyne and Wear HER(6530): Newcastle, The Side, Cale Cross - Details
Title of image: Cale Cross, Newcastle
Artist: T.M. Richardson
Date: 19th Century
Description: Illustration of scene outside the Nags Head Inn.
Additional info: Engraving
Location/Collection: Robinson Library Special Collections, local illustrations
Accession number: ILL/11/191
Provider: Robinson Library Newcastle University
Copyright: Â© Copyright 2013 Newcastle University
Newcastle, The Side, Cale Cross
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Gray described the cross as having columns of hewn stone, covered with lead. On the top of cross was a cistern which held the New-Water. Milk, eggs, cheese and butter were sold here. The street in which the cross was situated was also called Cale Cross, so called because cale or broth was sold there. It is named in documents dating to the reigns of Edward III (1327-77) and Richard II (1377-99) - the account of St. Margaret's Chantry in the Church of St. Nicholas.
H. Bourne, 1736, The History of Newcastle upon Tyne, p 60 and 123; W. Gray, 1649, Chorographia; J. Brand, 1789, The History of Newcastle; L. Wilkes and G. Dodds, 1964, Tyneside Classical - The Newcastle of Grainger, Dobson and Clayton; Tyne and Wear Council Council Museum, 1980, The Classical Tradition, p 10