Tyne and Wear HER(6544): Newcastle, Castle Garth, The Mount - Details
Newcastle, Castle Garth, The Mount
West of Parrot's Houses (HER 6543) part of the Garth served as a midden heap, known as the "motte or common dunghill" and later "The Mount". Premises enclosing it to the north and west came to be called "The Mount". Sanitary regulations appear to have been ignored. By 1746 The Mount was completely enclosed by buildings. To the south was a lane called "Bankside" or "Low Way".
J. Nolan, 1990, The Castle of Newcastle upon Tyne after 1600, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 5, Vol XV.